ivybookbindings

Keertana @ Ivy Book Bindings

Hi, I'm Keertana! I am a blogger, student, avid lover of chocolate, and most importantly, a reader. You can follow me for regular reviews, discussion posts, and author interviews on my blog, http://ivybookbindings.blogspot.com. For now, I'm still fairly active on GoodReads, but I can't wait to join the BookLikes community! :)

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
April Genevieve Tucholke
An Abundance of Katherines - John Green An Abundance of Katherines has made me recognize the loss of a "laugh-out-loud-funny" shelf. I need one. Clearly. And, granted, there are a lot of wonderful, quirky, honest, and hilarious novels out there, but John Green's definitely take the cake. An Abundance of Katherines isn't my favorite John Green - that title still belongs to The Fault in Our Stars with Will Grayson, Will Grayson proving to be tough competition - but it's probably the one I will go back to and re-read the most. On a rainy day. On a sunny day. On a happy day. On a sad day. While many readers have criticized Green's work as being formulaic - a highly intelligent boy meets a different girl, a whacky tale of love ensues with plenty of self-discovery along the way - I've found that they are all inherently different as well. Colin's narration is funny without meaning to be, deep when you least expect it, and surprisingly heart-felt for a child prodigy who claims to be unable to connect with others. And while the overarching plot line of a guy who dated nineteen girls - all with the same name - and then goes on to try to make a formula to predict relationships seems a little out-there and strange, the novel itself is so very real. Green's strength lies in his secondary characters, for they complement his main characters so perfectly while retaining distinct personas of their own. Hassan is wonderful - witty, hurting, and learning, just as Colin is. Lindsey, far from being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, is just someone trying to fit in (and failing rather spectacularly). Guttshot, Tennessee, the setting of this novel, plays a surprisingly important role throughout the book and I love feeling as if I know this fictional town and its residents, despite never having left the edges of America. Most of all, though, the conclusions, the conversations, and the directions Green takes his characters are remarkable journeys to read. Of course, every John Green novel ends with so much wisdom, but it is the small things - the conversations throughout the novel, the build-up of relationships, the little quirky facts - that make his novels so special. And while I know many reviewers have remarked on this fact - many times - it bears repeating: I love these intelligent teens. And intelligent is not a synonym for unrealistic. Rather, they make the same mistakes, still do stupid things, and manage to have a ton of fun in life, all while remaining un-cool, un-popular, and interested in math or dorky facts. I love feeling like I've learned more than a lesson on morality after finishing Green's books and as a lover of strange and random facts, these novels are like brain food. An Abundance of Katherines is not a contemporary novel to be missed. Witty, clever, and yet gut-wrenching, even Green's earlier works manage to shine spectacularly. I'm only sorry I have one left to go.